Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why run?

As you all probably know, my next Pikermi is scheduled for April 24. I am excited and training is going well. I did a recovery run yesterday at a 10:20 pace... fast for me for a recovery run. Anyway, there is a 10-miler that fits in nicely with my training schedule about 15 minutes down the road on March 20. It's a VERY small race, last year only 130 finishers. The problem is, everyone who does run is VERY fast. According to last year's results, if I run a 10-minute mile, which is probably what I can expect, then I'd finish with only about 15 people behind me. Which brings me to the question...

is it too embarrassing for me to finish almost last?

I mean, I'll be pulling up the rear with the 70-year olds :) I'll almost certainly be last in my age group, but I think it would be a fun run, and a very different atmosphere. Few spectators, little race support, probably not even a t-shirt.

I'm just not sure what to do about it. I'm not running for anyone but me, but I am not used to being last...or next to last.. or in the bottom 10% of anything. Could it be a good lesson in humility? Almost certainly.

Anyone want to run in the back of the pack with me? The race only costs $5 It will be a nice serving of dust for breakfast!

No comments: