This is going to turn into a running blog. It's all I do anymore, anyway.
My neighbors are going to think I'm crazy.
Background: I am working on improving my speed. To do this, I am doing interval workouts every other week. This involves running fast(er) for 0.25 miles and recovering for 0.25 miles. Some might say "Hey, Carol, go to the track." Well, guess what? It's high school track season--no more track runs for me unless it's dark (be it early morning or night). Well, it just so happens that the block (square?) I live on is almost exactly 0.5 miles!
So, yesterday I set out to run 7x0.25 interval runs. Yippee!! I did a warm-up lap. 7 interval laps and a cool down lap... effectively running around the same block 9 times!!! As if they didn't already, my neighbors are going to think (know?) I'm crazy.
On a related note, interval workouts are VERY hard. I'm not a good pacer unless I'm going very slow. I'm supposed to run my fast intervals at 5k pace... problem 1: I don't know my 5k pace. So, I basically take off sprinting (funny for the neighbors to watch that the first time, probably just sad the 7th time) and am panting for air when I reach the 0.25 mark. But did I walk?! NO! So, repeat that 7 times and I was spent. Hardest workout in a long time. I don't know how hard the wind was blowing yesterday, but it wasn't helping my cause...note to self: next time run with the tail wind.
Signing off for now. More running adventures to come later
2 comments:
Increasing your speed is hard work. It took me months to shave off seconds, but the thing that helped me do it was tabata sprints.
Basically, here's what you do:
- Run as fast and as hard as you can for 30 seconds.
- Rest for 10 seconds
Repeat until you're literally exhausted - people in really good condition can normally do it about 7 times.
I did this on the days that I don't run for about three or four months and it helped tremendously.
That sounds hardcore. I may have to try it out one day--not like it would take very long!
Post a Comment