Friday, July 10, 2009

Francoeur

The Braves traded Jeff Francouer. I can hardly believe it.

That's the news for now. We're going to Red Robin and the movies tonight. Sure, we're going to see different movies, but that's OK. (Group fun night!!)

3 comments:

John said...

I am actually sad about Frenchy- even though he was Mr DP. I just know now- we will be a 30 HR guy w/ the Mets, and ALL of them will be against the Braves. We will see......

Carol said...

John, you could easily be right. But, given the Braves situation, I think it was the right thing to do. He simply wasn't producing. With Frenchy, the Braves made it too much of a personal decision, not a business decision. Will that hurt even more if he's an All-Star next year with the Mets? Sure. But it's not personal, it's business :)

Ryan said...

I was all for Frenchy leaving intially, but he'll probably start trying hard again and become that 30HR 110RBI guy he was supposed to be. Of course his first game for the Mets he gets 2RBI. I think he needed a change of scenery and it will benefit the Braves and Jeff.

After his first year, pitchers realized he couldn't hit anything that wasn't a fastball and he has struggled since. I don't know if its in his head or if he thought since he was a local kid and a fan favorite that no matter how bad he played that he'd always have a spot in RF with the Braves, but looks like out new GM thought otherwise. The fact is he's been an average/below-average outfielder the last 1.5-2 years who many "experts" called the easier out in MLB and we needed to make a move to improve that position. Hate to see him go because I had always hoped he'd turn it around and he's young with tons of potential, but hopefully Church will fill in well for us. I think next year (or maybe later this year) we might see another young OF star in Jason Heyward or maybe we'll get a new hitting coach and help Jordan Schafer get his swing back. The future is bright for the Braves. Hope we can do something this year as well.