Monday, July 20, 2009

Boston!

I am back safe and sound. Well, I actually got back yesterday morning but didn't get the pictures loaded and enough time to blog until now. I got to Boston and tim picked me up from the airport at around 1:00. We relaxed at the apartment for a while before walking to Harvard. Here are some pics of the campus.


Me at the 50 yard line. They open the bleachers for students and faculty to work out. Several people were running bleachers...we were taking pictures :)

Random picture of some quad area. I think it's near dorms, but none of the buildings were labeled, so it was hard to tell.

Another picture of their stadium. It was awesome.

I am pretty sure this is the Harvard Business School. Gorgeous, no? And it overlooks the river. Don't ask me which river, because I forget.

Next we went to eat in Harvard square at a place called Mr. Bartley's. Apparently, it's famous. Here's my plate:

I only had a couple onion rings and didn't eat the bun. This was called the Mitt Romney burger. Don't ask me why.

Saturday we woke up and rode the majority of the Minuteman trail. I would say we biked about 18 miles. I rented a bike. Obviously, I didn't take any pictures because I was on the bike :)

Then, we rode past MIT, Boston University and hopped on the T to go to Fenway where we took a tour. We got to go in the press box, the tables in the right field stands, on top of the green monster (pronounced monstah according to our guide) and sit on the oldest seats in baseball. Here are some highlights.

View from the oldest chairs in baseball. I think they were installed in 1912. You can tell they're so old because they're wooden and made for skinny people. :)

Me on top of the green monstah. Awesome, no? I'm almost glad there wasn't a game because I got to see the whole stadium.

View from the press box. See the trademark Citgo sign? According to Tim, even though they have that sign there, there's only about 3 Citgos in all of Boston.

View from the standing room only area.

Then, we went downtown to the North End. We ate at an open air Italian restaurant, then went to Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry for Cannoli. I knew I would be breaking my low-carb diet for those! Here's a couple pics of downtown and my Cannoli.

Mike's. It was packed. Very popular.


Me eating the cannoli from Mike's. There was no seating inside, so you have to eat and walk. Not easy with a cannoli! Yes, those are chocolate chips at the ends. Mike's mass produces their cannoli, so the shells are a little soggier than I would like. I much preferred...

Modern Pastry!! It was smaller and less crowded.

Plus, they had a "mini cannoli" option for those of us trying to watch our waistline (lol, as if a smaller portion is diet-worthy). They fill their cannoli shells to order, so it's still nice and crispy...mmmm :)

Then we picked up Christina from the airport (long story, don't fly Airtran, she was supposed to arrive on Friday night, not Saturday). We took Christina to Harvard to see the field. Here we are again at Harvard.


Us at the field. Duh. :) sorry, getting tired, blogger is taking forever to load these pictures!

Finally, we made it to MIT. We only drove by before. MIT is hard to find, from what I can tell anyway. Here is one building. It was wide open at 10:00 saturday night. Seemed like a classroom building, but what do I know? Again, it wasn't labeled.

Cool building.

My flight out was at 6AM Sunday morning, so I didn't do anything except eat a bowl of cereal before we left.

It was an awesome trip, thanks again to Tim for hosting me and Christina for coming, even if we didn't get to spend that much time together. Miss you guys and see you soon!

2 comments:

Tiffanie said...

MMMM I loved the cannoli's at Modern Pastry :)

Carol said...

IMHO, they were the best by far :)