Tuesday, February 15, 2011

PR!

So, I have a lot to say about the race, but no pictures because we both forgot our cameras. Haha. I'll try to keep it light, but I am so happy to have broken 2:10. That was my goal for this race, and every other time I tried, I crashed and burned. I know I am not the fastest cheetah on the block, but I'm getting faster, and this is my first race longer than 10k with an average pace sub-10:00 minute miles.

Went to the small-ish expo on Saturday after driving the 1.5 hours to B'ham. Picked up my bib no problemo. We went back to the hotel and watched Greek on Netflix and American Pickers and this show called "Til Debt Do Us Part." It was awesome. Went to bed early enough. Woke up at 5:45 (race at 7) because the hotel was <1 block from the start line. So convenient and nice!  After breakfast (Clif bar and a coke... I mostly abstain from caffeine until race days) I was ready to RUN! I had a good feeling that morning, but didn't want to jinx it. It was about 35 degrees at the start. My goal was to start easy so as to not crash at the end.

Mile 1: 9:52
2: 10:01
(These were actually a little bit faster, but I lost satellite reception under a bridge and Junior was measuring the course short by about .2 miles for a long time. So, they were probably closer to 9:30 apiece)

3: 9:29
4: 9:42
5: 9:55
6: 9:29
According to the results, I crossed mile 6.2 at 58:23 (9:28 pace) which would be a PR.

7: 9:43
8: 10:00
9: 9:16
10: 10:20
11: 9:38
12: 10:11
13: 9:48
.1ish: 17 seconds

Official finish: 2:07:42

The course measured 13.04 per Junior, but as I told you it was measuring .2-.25 short during the first few miles, so I am sure I ran >13.1. Per my splits you can see I was falling off at the end. There is an almost all uphill stretch from mile 6.5-8 and it really tired me out. Mile 9 was almost all downhill and I think I pushed a little too hard there.

But, all in all, I can't complain with a 3.5 minute PR! And, a 16 minute personal course record! The medal ain't half bad.


I was tired when we got home :P


1 comment:

Ryan said...

Wow amazing times. Great work getting the PR. You'll be sub 2 before you know it.