Yikes! John is in a class this semester and I am not. He has class Tuesdays and Thursdays until about 5:30. When I get home from work (if I don't go to the chiro) then I go for a run or hit the weights. I usually don't finish until 5:30 or so, and then I realize we don't have anything for dinner.
So, we've been having pizza or take-out the past couple weeks on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I will be honest and say John does most of the cooking at our crib... so I am a terrible wife and falling down on the job. When I don't work out, I usually have dinner ready, promise! But, we are both ready to eat when he gets home at 6.
Any tips? My ever-expanding waistline will thank you!
5 comments:
You can keep some staples like chicken, ground beef, etc around and make tons of things. That plus frozen veggies = quick, healthy meals.
Example: Christi and I bought 1 pack of boneless chicken tenders. Last night we made grilled garlic & herb chicken (used pre-diced garlic - stays good in fridge for long time) and cooked some frozen broccoli. Very tasty.
Tonight we used remaining chicken and grilled it. Topped it with marinara and a handful of fat-free cheese and chicken parmesan. Sides were boil in bag brown rice and frozen green beens cooked in pot. Total cook time is maybe 10 min, if that.
Other nights we've used the grilled the chicken, then put it on whole wheat tortillas and add bbq sauce and cheese and cook it in the oven for thin crust pizza.
Lots of combinations can be made with those foods. We have some good recipes I can send you.
Also, make double portion of something and cook half of it one night and freeze the rest. Lasagna or casseroles are perfect for this. Pop it in the oven on these nights and you have a quick meal.
Those all sound so good! my problem is I'm so lazy... and John hates leftovers.
Ah so many typos in that comment!
I'm not a leftover fan either. Cooking the right amount is tough. That's why I like the freezing option. You make what you want and don't cook the rest, just freeze it and cook it later. Cuts down on prep time for those busy days when you just want to eat fast.
Crock Pot all the way! Throw it in before you leave the house for work and it's all done when you get home. Minimum effort and minimum clean-up. Heck, I'm home all day and I still use my crock pot at least twice a week for dinner!
I would love to crock pot it up but we're gone for almost 12 hours a day, which is too long for our crock, even on low. Most recipes are done in 4-6 hrs. We use the crock on the weekends, though!
Post a Comment