Wednesday, July 21, 2010

No cable?!

Our first week of having no cable went quite well!  We were able to get a lot done in the house, with schoolwork, reading and working out. We have only one drawback so far: we ordered the MLBtv.com package, which we thought would allow us to watch the Braves games we are missing... however we can't watch the games live. We can only watch the games 45 minutes after they are over. Not a deal breaker, but we were disappointed nonetheless. So, now I don't get to see my favorite player hit homeruns in 3 consecutive games live.


Yes, my favorite player is Matt Diaz. Yes, I was able to find his jersey when we went to Atlanta. Yes, I wore it to the game proudly when he struck out in his pinch hit at bat. Wanna make something of it?

We didn't ditch cable to save money or time or anything, we just got fed up with our service provider.  We were going to switch to DirecTV (or however they spell it) but their prices were outrageous and we weren't comfortable with what we would have to pay to get the same channels.

We purchased a receiver so we can get the basic channels (Fox, ABC, etc) over the air in HD, and I'll be honest: I haven't missed having cable. In the mornings, I sometimes miss ESPN... but it just gives me something to check on at work :-P

Would you ever consider dropping your 100s of channels of cable? Have you already?

6 comments:

this.ride.called.life said...

I enjoy a cable free lifestyle! I'm 3yrs free now. Watching 20-20 on network!!

Ryan said...

Considered dropping, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I think you are on the forefront of what a lot of people will be doing soon. With websites like Hulu and TV's with built in antennas, cable is becoming outdated.

Carol said...

Really, you can watch anything on Hulu. And it's amazing what we can get done everyday without TV to watch. We've enjoyed it so far!

Carol said...

Good to know about having an account with Hulu. Not positive about ESPN3... but I am pretty sure it's provided.

Christina said...

I have to admit that I miss having Mike and Mike in the Morning and the Food Network. I did not realize how much I liked to have them on in the background while doing things! But overall it has really had 0 effect on me. My sister loaned us seasons 1-3 of How I Met Your Mother, so that has kept me busy since I got back to town :)

Carol said...

I recommend streaming Veronica Mars from Netflix. It's a great show, we just started watching, haha.