This article sums up a lot of what I think about facebook. See here: http://redtape.msnbc.com/2010/01/what-would-a-world-without-secrets-look-like-thanks-to-facebook-we-may-find-out---privacy-experts-continue-to-watch-in-won.html#posts
It's about how people are willing to share recent information, pictures, etc that they wouldn't otherwise share with people and the lost sense of privacy we have grown accustomed to.
Now, I have experienced this first hand: I have learned of friends' divorces, pregnancies, and other life-changing events through facebook, that before I would have learned through word-of-mouth. Is this a bad thing? Maybe not, but maybe yes. Is it really so important for someone you knew in middle school to learn that you are now interested in a new band, or have taken up a new interest in kitten raising (haha, guilty!)? I would say no, but for some reason, we're impulsive enough to post every tidbit of information about ourselves on a public website where anyone can see.
It's bizarre, no? Why do we feel so required to update our facebook pages with every life event? Do you call the people you love the most to tell them your most important news before making it facebook-public? Does facebook make it easier for you to spread the message without having to make calls? Does anyone value a phone call anymore?
Sound off.
No comments:
Post a Comment