Monday, September 21, 2009

Anyone write in cursive?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_us/us_cursive_angst

This news article makes me kind of sad.

When I write notes for class or anything else I'm writing by hand, I usually write in cursive. Sure, it's a printy-cursive, not all letters are connected, but whatever. Anyway, this article says that kids aren't required to learn to write in cursive anymore in schools, they're learning keyboarding instead. While I agree that learning keyboarding will be essential to participate in life today and in the future, so is cursive and good penmanship!

I agree that you can say exactly the same thing in an e-mail versus a handwritten note, but who doesn't love receiving handwritten notes? Whether it's thank-you card, a letter, or simply signing your name on a funny hallmark card, do today's children not need to learn the art of cursive?

Call me crazy, but I think this is a big mistake!

Sound off..

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I write cursive in my checks. That's about it for me.